Studio Pieces Interactiveengaged in the development of a new Alone in the Darkshared with the press fresh details of the game at the exhibition Gamescom 2022.
- The authors prefer to call the project not a restart or a remake, but a “love letter” to the original 1992 game.
- Despite returning to the 1920s Derceto estate with old protagonists, players are in for a completely fresh take on the story. Screenwriter Mikael Hedberg (Amnesia: The Dark Descent, SOMA) used only selected elements from the original as a starting point, opting to write an entirely new storyline.
- At the same time, old fans will still find familiar things for themselves, but perhaps in a different context or setting. For example, some characters that were only briefly mentioned in the 1992 original will become a full-fledged part of the story in the new game.
- As in the original, you can play the game as Edward Carnby or Emily Hartwood. The character chosen as the playable character will become the dominant protagonist, while the other character will act as the NPC.
- The developers initially toyed with the idea of staying true to the series’ roots and keeping the camera static, but eventually moved on to a free-view over-the-shoulder look like in the remake. Resident Evil 2.
- Alone in the Dark will constantly encourage players to survive against the odds with limited resources and in situations often designed to run rather than fight, and items will be scattered throughout the locations to help fend off attacks.
In the same place at Gamescom, the developers confirmed that playable prologue, demonstrated at the exhibition, will later be made available to the public.
Alone in the Dark does not yet have a release date. The project has been in development since the end of 2019 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC.
With the first details can be found here.
Read also: Battles with demons in the worlds of performances and scenery: Extended trailer for Phantom Hellcat action in the spirit of NieR.